On several occasions, I found it difficult to pray with my children. The reason was to avoid distractions from them so I could pray effectively. I preferred to ask them to pray on their own. But each time I did I felt uncomfortable inside me. There was this feeling that my children knew not how to pray well because they had no idea of how to. I was swept with guilt and decided to embrace the responsibility to teach them how to pray.
During my childhood, I found it challenging to pray. The family I grew up with didn’t have the time to always pray along with me. It was the reason I found it difficult to pray. Up till my adulthood, prayer was a struggle to me. I usually pray when I feel like praying. That’s not good enough! I didn’t want my children to grow up without having a deep interest in prayer.
I bless God for my spiritual mother–Pastor Chinyere Ifeanyi, Founder of Pool of Redemption Ministry- Abuja-Nigeria. She runs a prayer and deliverance ministry. Ever since I started attending her ministry, my prayer life has taken a new turn. It’s a wonderful experience and I’m eternally grateful to God.
However, if you are finding it hard to pray consistently I can assure you will bounce back and this time become more vibrant in your spiritual connection with God through prayer. But if praying with your children does not sound good to you at this time because of distractions, I did like you to shun that thought now. I want you to believe is not the right way of parenting your children in that aspect.
Prayer is a spiritual weapon God gave to mankind to quench all fiery darts of the devil and to bring to us the fulfillment of our heart desires. So, it is important you pray all the time especially with your children. It doesn’t have to be convenient for you to pray. The important thing is that you pray without ceasing.
The big question is- “how can I cope praying with my children as I’m finding it hard to concentrate?”
First of all, if you want to pray effectively along with your children, de-clutter your mind off how they won’t let you focus. You don’t expect your children to stay calm during prayer session especially when they are still little and haven’t come of age to maintain calmness. It’s a matter of time and you will have to give them some little time.
Why Is it Important To Pray With Your Children?
1. Praying with your children helps them to learn how to pray better.
2. Praying with your children builds their passion for prayer.
3. It teaches them that prayer is the best solution to every issue of life.
4. It teaches them to be fervent and more consistent no matter the circumstances.
5. It teaches them to acknowledge who God is and what He can do when they call on Him in prayer.
6. It teaches your children humility. This act of humility can turn trials to triumph, closed doors to open doors. In fact, when an act of humility is displayed during prayer, it brings speedy answers to you.
7. It strengthens trust, hope and faith. When it look as though you are in a tough situation or having a hard time and you are beginning to lose your trust, hope and faith in God, prayer can help strengthen you.
8. It teaches gratitude. The Bible says in everything we should give thanks. When you pray along with your children you are teaching them to be grateful to God for His fatherly care.
I’m certain that reading through the benefits of praying with your children will boost your interest in wanting to start right away. Regardless of your children’s age, there is no perfect time to start praying with your children. It is not always going to be convenient for you to assemble with your children for prayer but you will discover that it’s worth it.
In reference to Mathew 18:20, you will have more clarity about the power of praying together with your children. I want you to meditate on the above scripture and be blessed.